Slow Cooker Sausage Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 4 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild pickled pepper rings, drained
- 8 submarine buns, split
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Place pork chops and sausage in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Place tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic and pepper flakes in a food processor; pulse until chunky. Pour over meats. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours.
- Add onion and peppers to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours longer or until pork is tender, a thermometer inserted in sausages reads 160°, and vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove pork chops and sausages from slow cooker. Remove pork from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks and cut sausages into 2-in. pieces; return to slow cooker. Serve on buns with cheese.
Sep 19, 2015
I can't lie...I doubted this recipe all the way up to the first bite. Oh how I was wrong! This was SOOO good and easy!I would say that there is way too much sauce...to the point of it being soupy. So next time I will double the meat or halve the sauce and add some extra veggies as well.I also added a bit of sugar in with the sauce because I wanted to cut the acidity of the tomatoes just a tad.And finally, we ate this on buns but added some slices of swiss cheese and that totally hit the spot!This would be a great crowd pleaser!