Slow Cooker Sausage Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 4 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild pickled pepper rings, drained
- 8 submarine buns, split
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Place pork chops and sausage in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Place tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic and pepper flakes in a food processor; pulse until chunky. Pour over meats. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours.
- Add onion and peppers to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours longer or until pork is tender, a thermometer inserted in sausages reads 160°, and vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove pork chops and sausages from slow cooker. Remove pork from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks and cut sausages into 2-in. pieces; return to slow cooker. Serve on buns with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 554 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 1218mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 19, 2015
I can't lie...I doubted this recipe all the way up to the first bite. Oh how I was wrong! This was SOOO good and easy!I would say that there is way too much sauce...to the point of it being soupy. So next time I will double the meat or halve the sauce and add some extra veggies as well.I also added a bit of sugar in with the sauce because I wanted to cut the acidity of the tomatoes just a tad.And finally, we ate this on buns but added some slices of swiss cheese and that totally hit the spot!This would be a great crowd pleaser!