My family loves this on especially cold winter days. My family loves mild Italian sausage but I prefer the spicy version which gives it a bit of a zing. —Cindi DeClue, Anchorage, Alaska
Recommended: 50 Great Ways to Make Lasagna
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in sauce, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 carton (15 ounces) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Line sides of an oval 6-qt. slow cooker with heavy-duty foil; coat foil with cooking spray. In a Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up beef and sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, water and herbs; heat through.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, eggs and Parmesan cheese. Spread 1-1/2 cups meat sauce onto bottom of prepared slow cooker. Layer with three noodles (breaking to fit), 3/4 cup ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 cups meat sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until noodles are tender. Turn off slow cooker; remove insert from slow cooker. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Sausage Lasagna in TasteofHome.com 2017