Here's an easy dish guaranteed to create excitement at the breakfast table! Nothing is missing from this sweet and savory combination. It's so wrong, it's right! —Courtney Lentz, Boston, Massachusetts
Recommended: 30 Breakfast for Dinner Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds bulk spicy breakfast pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 package (12.3 ounces) frozen waffles, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional maple syrup
- Fold two 18-in.-long pieces of foil into two 18x4-in. strips. Line the sides around the perimeter of a 5-qt. slow cooker with foil strips; spray with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat; drain. Add sage and fennel.
- Place waffles in slow cooker; top with sausage. In a bowl, mix eggs, cream, syrup and seasonings. Pour over sausage and waffles. Top with cheese. Cook, covered, on low until set, 5-6 hours. Remove insert and let stand, uncovered, 15 minutes. Serve with additional maple syrup. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Sausage & Waffle Bake in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2017, p58