- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or rump roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mix first six ingredients. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add water. Pour ketchup mixture over top. Add cookie crumbs. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; keep warm. Strain cooking juices; skim fat. Transfer 4 cups juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Sauerbraten
"I've made this a few times since the recipe first appeared in 2009. It is very simple to prepare and the Sauerbraten is tender and well-seasoned. This is great with potato pancakes and sweet and sour red cabbage. This recipe is a keeper!"
"It is delish!!!!"
"Wow, sauerbraten, the easy way. So good and not the 2 day prep work. Made it just right."
"Not what we were expecting. Maybe too much vinegar, just not sure. We won't make it again."
"Nice variation on the original and pretty easy to put together. I think I used a bottom round roast - that's what was on sale - and it was fine."
"Very good gravy favor with this recipe for a mock sauerbraten. Only thing is next time i would make half the sauce the recipe calls for. The roast was swimming in sauce and i had enough for another whole roast. Being of German background and making sauerbraten from scratch many times this is a easy substitution."