- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- Place carrots and onion in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix garlic and oil. In another bowl, mix dry seasonings.
- Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken breast; rub garlic mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Place chicken in slow cooker over carrots and onions, breast side up; sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours (a thermometer inserted in thigh should read at least 170°).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Discard vegetables. Let chicken stand 15 minutes before carving.
Freeze option: Cool chicken pieces and any juices. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Roast Chicken
"Delicious! A great summer recipe with results that everyone was eager to eat. Served with roasted vegetables. Wouldn'tWouldn't change a thing and definitely would make it again."
"I made this yesterday and loved it. So easy and you don't have to heat up an oven. It was so moist. Thank you."
"Oh my! This was so moist and flavorful. I will definitely be making it again."
"This was delicious and very moist. Will make again!"
"Maybe my chicken wasn't totally thawed but I had too cook it an hour or more longer than the recipe says. Otherwise, it was great."