Slow Cooker Pumpkin Yeast Bread
Savor the rich flavors of fall with this homey loaf you can bake up in the slow cooker. Butterscotch adds a sweet surprise. —Erica Polly, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips, optional
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, yeast, pie spice, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in pumpkin, egg and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. During the last few minutes of kneading add raisins, pecans and, if desired, chips. Shape into a 6-in. round loaf; transfer to a greased double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Lifting with foil, place in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Press foil against bottom and sides of slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on high 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 190°-200°. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without chips): 228 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017