- 1 beef top round roast (3 pounds)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 8 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Place roast, onion and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water and garlic. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef to a cutting board. Transfer vegetables and cooking juices to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar and ginger until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Cut beef into slices. Stir gently into sauce; heat through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Pepper Steak
"I worried that the meat wouldn't be tender because of the cut but it turned out perfect! I ruined the meal when I poured the overly salty sauce over the meat. That was way too much soy sauce!! And, yes, I used low-sodium soy sauce."
"This was delicious. I never used this cut of meat before, but it turned out perfectly. The sauce was really thick and the vegetables nearly disappeared in it, which of course works for some of my children."
"Delicious! I don't even like peppers but loved this recipe! The only thing I changed was adding more water to the crock pot to make more of the gravy! The family loved it as well!"
"Very tasty. I did freeze the leftovers and reheated it using a little beef broth. It wasn't as good."
"Very similar to one I created. I loved the taste! it was easy also"
"Recipe saved! Most likely will **halve** since making full recipe would make too much. THANK YOU. J."