This cake is easy to make on a lazy day and a guaranteed-delicious dessert for several days, if you can make it last that long. It's wonderful for the fall and even the holidays. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit bits
- 1 cup pistachios
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Whisk together first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the next seven ingredients. Add cranberry mixture to flour mixture; stir until smooth. Add dried fruit and pistachios.
- Pour batter into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; place in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Lay a 14x12-in. piece of parchment paper over top of slow cooker under the lid. Cook, covered, on high until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 2-1/2 hours. Remove dish from slow cooker to a wire rack. Cool 30 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
- Cut into wedges with a serrated knife; if desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Mixed Fruit & Pistachio Cake in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2017, p85