- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add butter. In a large bowl, mix 3 cups cheese, evaporated milk, condensed soup, 2% milk and eggs. Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook, covered, on low 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Mac 'n' Cheese
"This was my first try at mac n cheese. I was really excited to put into the slow cooker, and it turned out fabulous! (I was a little worried when reading other reviews). I used reduced fat cheese and fat free evaporated milk. Also added cubes of ham. It was delicious, my teenagers loved it and I will definitely be making it again!"
"not a review - but rather a comment - think tajabala was using Sweetened Condensed milk - Nothing in recipe even suggests that it should taste like sugar. Some people do not know the difference in Evaporated Milk and Sweetened Condensed milk - I suspect that this is the case here. This may also be the explanation for the cheese separating."
"This is the worst Mac & Cheese recipe I have ever tasted. I followed this recipe EXACTLY and some of the poor reviews (about the cheese separating and not tasting cheesy, etc...) were 100% accurate. Honestly, it tasted like Elbows Macaroni and sugar. The evaporated milk made this too sweet. I will NEVER make this recipe again. Make anything but this one folks. Absolutely TERRIBLE!!!!!"
"My family was soooooo impressed, because I'm normally a box Macaroni mom, and I hit a home run with this recipe! Made me the rockstar of Easter dinner for sure!"
"This recipe required a lot of cheese, but did not taste very cheesy at all. The flavor was weak, and the cheese didn't melt completely; it ended up with a crumbly, stringy texture, instead of being smooth and melty like Mac N cheese should be. I followed the recipe exactly, except I used non-fat milk instead of 2%. I won't be using this one again."
"Delicious recipe! With mine I check on it every 30 to 40 minutes stirring it just to make sure it wouldn't stick and burn. It came out perfect, even topped mine with crushed cheese its. My husband and kids loved it!"
"So delicious! I added bacon bits (homemade) at the end and was divine !!! I think the secret is not opening the top of the crockpot much and only stirring once or twice while cooking bc mine started to crumble some. Also, I didn't use the cheddar cheese soup simply bc I don't like the taste ...I used Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese and some garlic powder. It was a hit !"