- 6 bacon strips, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Cut three bacon strips in half; cook until partially cooked but not crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top each thigh with a half piece of bacon. Top with onion, pineapple and barbecue sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Cook remaining bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Sprinkle over each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Luau Chicken
"This dish was good and easy. I used regular bacon (can't find the brand used in the recipe here) and a regular onion, simply for taste preference. My guys weren't fans with fruit (the pineapple) mixed with meat, so it won't make a regular rotation but it was good. I served it over white rice."
"Loved it. Made a few small changes according to what I had on hand. Used 2 medium chicken breast cut in half, pineapple tidbits, and added chopped peppers and sliced mushrooms with the onion. I also added about 1/3 cup of pineapple juice with barbeque sauce. Husband loved it served over brown rice, with aside of steamed broccoli and carrots. Made a great and easy meal. Will be making again."
"This recipe is on the sweet side but gives good flavor to the chicken."
"I made a few changes to the recipe, using breasts instead of thighs, pineapple slices instead of chunks, and skipping the bacon on the chicken/in the crockpot step. However, other than those few things, I followed the recipe and both kids and myself enjoyed this meal. I think next time I would serve this with rice. But it was incredibly easy to put together and it was fantastic to walk in the door to a warm, delicious meal."
"This was good, I wasn't a fan of the bacon. I think I'll leave it out next time."
"Super easy and delicious with only a few ingredients."
"This was great! Fall apart tenderness! I did add the mushrooms to this, because my daughter loves mushrooms. No leftovers! I made with mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts, since my husband doesn't care for rice. Awesome! Next time I will add more bbq sauce, to make a gravy, since there wasn't much gravy after cooking. Thanks! Oh! And I did also add a pinch of crushed red peppers."