- 6 bacon strips, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Cut three bacon strips in half; cook until partially cooked but not crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top each thigh with a half piece of bacon. Top with onion, pineapple and barbecue sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Cook remaining bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Sprinkle over each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Luau Chicken
"Definitely a keeper! I used chicken tenderloins instead of thighs, so I used more than six and increased the sauce a bit. Used regular sweet onion instead of red, because that's what I had on hand and omitted the bacon just as a personal preference. This chicken was tender, moist and delicious. Served it over rice. This one will go in my slow cooker rotation file! Family devoured it!Volunteer Field Editor"
"This dish was good and easy. I used regular bacon (can't find the brand used in the recipe here) and a regular onion, simply for taste preference. My guys weren't fans with fruit (the pineapple) mixed with meat, so it won't make a regular rotation but it was good. I served it over white rice."
"Loved it. Made a few small changes according to what I had on hand. Used 2 medium chicken breast cut in half, pineapple tidbits, and added chopped peppers and sliced mushrooms with the onion. I also added about 1/3 cup of pineapple juice with barbeque sauce. Husband loved it served over brown rice, with aside of steamed broccoli and carrots. Made a great and easy meal. Will be making again."
"This recipe is on the sweet side but gives good flavor to the chicken."
"I made a few changes to the recipe, using breasts instead of thighs, pineapple slices instead of chunks, and skipping the bacon on the chicken/in the crockpot step. However, other than those few things, I followed the recipe and both kids and myself enjoyed this meal. I think next time I would serve this with rice. But it was incredibly easy to put together and it was fantastic to walk in the door to a warm, delicious meal."
"This was good, I wasn't a fan of the bacon. I think I'll leave it out next time."
"Super easy and delicious with only a few ingredients."