- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 36 hamburger buns, split
- Cook the beef, sausage, peppers and onion in a Dutch oven over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, garlic and bay leaves.
Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until flavors are blended. Discard bay leaves. Serve on buns, 1/2 cup on each.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 36 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Italian Sloppy Joes
"This is really good! It makes a lot so you should scale down if you don't want leftovers for days. This is great served over rice as well!"
"I have made this recipe twice so far...It is great! There are 7 of us with big appetites and I don't have to worry about not having enough and it is very easy to put together...will be making this again and again...Thanks for posting:)"
"I made this to feed the youth group. It was so nice to find a recipe to feed a crowd. The only problem I had was the the sauce was too thin- not great for going on a bun. I drained some of the liquid from the tomatoes before adding them. I ended up putting in a second can of tomato paste, and that really helped. This may just be a variation as to how different crock pots cook.I had some leftover, so we used it to fill calzones, along with pepperoni and cheese."