- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Place onions and butter in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until onions are tender. Stir in the broth, sherry and pepper. Cover and cook 2-3 hours longer or until heated through.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast and cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker French Onion Soup
"Love this recipe for the flavor and simplicity"
"This was a decent French onion soup, much less complicated than some recipes. Tasty and simple...perfect for a weeknight."
"I doubled the recipe and this turned out great. I also added another onion and some garlic as well and it tasted great definitely will make again"
"This soup is absolutely wonderful. I only had 1 sweet onion so I added a red onion. That is the only change. My husband will ask for this often!"
"I just made this tonight. My first time making French Onion soup. It was easy and really really delicious. I used a box of Trader Joe's beef broth instead of canned. I added a bay leaf, and 1 tsp of beef granules. Everything else was exactly the same. (I did cook the onions on the stove to save time, and then put them in the crockpot with the broth. I will definitely make again. Hubby loved it too."
"I smashed this recipe together with another one to make a great French onion soup. Caramelized the onions in a pan first. Added 1 can of progresso French onion soup, 1 can Campbells consommé, 1 teaspoon of better than bouillon beef flavor, lawrys, parsley, garlic, salt, bay leaf. Those extra ingredients only take a minute to add and gives it a depth of flavor it needs. I triple the recipe, we love it."
"I have made this several times and it's great! My boyfriend says it's the best he has ever had. It's our favorite soup!"
"Made this recipe and once I tasted it I wished I didn't have to share..."
"This was lacking something. Maybe it's the brand of beef broth that I used. I think next time I might even use a can of condensed French onion soup instead of just beef broth. I really loved how the slow cooker began to caramelize the onions. I let them cook almost two hours longer to give them a nice golden color. Like BobbiBacha, I, too, was coming down with something, and ate this and woke up this morning feeling great!"
"I would give this recipe another try since I wasn't able to follow the instructions to the letter the first time. We were going to be gone all day so I dumped everything in the crockpot all at once. It was okay, but I'm sure it would have been better if the onions had caramelized."