- 2 pounds small Yukon Gold or medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 6 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Microwave potatoes with 2 tablespoons water, covered, on high until potatoes just begin to soften, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker; add carrots. Meanwhile, mix 6 tablespoons softened butter with horseradish, garlic and seasonings; refrigerate half of butter mixture.
- In a Dutch oven, heat remaining 2 tablespoons plain butter over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides; transfer to slow cooker. Add broth and wine to Dutch oven; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over meat. Spread butter mixture over roast; cook, covered, on low until beef is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; tent with foil. Mix flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Cook, covered, on high until thickened, 15-20 minutes.
- Cut roast into thick slices. Top with remaining butter mixture; drizzle with 1 cup gravy. Serve with potatoes, carrots and remaining gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Faux Prime Rib Roast
"Oh wow what an herbaceous and tender roast! There was so much flavor filling each bite and the veggies were perfectly cooked. I'm so glad I decided to make this recipe for my family. It's definitely a keeper!"