Slow Cooker Citrus Pork Roast
A delicious hint of orange in the gravy served over thick slices of pork roast makes them stand out from the crowd. Garlic, thyme and ginger further season this easy entree from Tamara Logan, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Cut roast in half. In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, thyme, ginger and pepper; rub over roast. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown roast on all sides in oil.
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce and orange zest; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and orange juice until smooth; stir in cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 263 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Citrus Pork Roast in Quick Cooking July/August 2004