Slow Cooker Cinnamon Roll
Come home to the heavenly aroma of fresh-baked cinnamon rolls! This better-for-you version tastes just as decadent as a regular cinnamon roll, but it smartly sneaks in some whole grains. —Nick Iverson, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add next six ingredients plus 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. For filling, spread dough with butter, then combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut crosswise in half to form two rolls. Place rolls side by side; pinch top ends together to seal. Using a sharp knife, cut rolls lengthwise in half; loosely twist strips around each other. Pinch bottom ends together to seal. Shape into a coil; place on parchment paper. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Cook, covered, on low until bread is lightly browned, 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Remove from slow cooker and cool slightly. Beat icing ingredients until smooth. Spread over warm roll.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 240 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Cinnamon Roll in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.