Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Just a small dash of garam marsala adds lots of flavor. The bright red sauce coats the caramelized chicken beautifully. —Anwar Khan, Irving, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours 10 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Chopped cilantro, optional
- Grated lemon zest, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- Combine first 12 ingredients in a 3- or 4-quart slow cooker. Add chicken thighs and stir gently to coat. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Preheat broiler. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a broiler-safe baking pan lined with foil. Broil 4-6 inches from heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, transfer cooking juices from slow cooker to saucepan. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat until slightly thickened, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and gently stir in butter and yogurt. Serve chicken with sauce. If desired, garnish with chopped cilantro, lemon zest and additional yogurt. Serve with hot cooked rice.