Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Just a small dash of garam marsala adds lots of flavor. The bright red sauce coats the caramelized chicken beautifully. —Anwar Khan, Irving, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours 10 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- chopped cilantro, optional
- Grated lemon zest, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- Combine first 12 ingredients in a 3- or 4-quart slow cooker. Add chicken thighs and stir gently to coat. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Preheat broiler. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a broiler-safe baking pan lined with foil. Broil 4-6 inches from heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, transfer cooking juices from slow cooker to saucepan. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat until slightly thickened, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and gently stir in butter and yogurt. Serve chicken with sauce. If desired, garnish with chopped cilantro, lemon zest and additional yogurt. Serve with hot cooked rice.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh: 364 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 705mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Tikka Masala in Taste of Home September/October 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.