- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 diagonally sliced French bread slices (1 inch thick)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced ripe olives and additional chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a greased 3-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, salsa and taco seasoning. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours.
- To serve, preheat broiler. Shred chicken with two forks; stir in tomatoes and cilantro.
Place bread on ungreased baking sheets; broil 2-3 in. from heat until tops are lightly browned. Using tongs, place rounded 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each toast. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. If desired, top with olives and additional tomatoes.
Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture without tomatoes and cilantro; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; stir in tomatoes and cilantro and serve as directed. Yield: 6 servings
Reviews forSlow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Melts
"I think the whole jar of salsa may have been too much. At least in my experience. My bread was soggy in the middle. Other than that, it had a lot of flavor!"