Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed (8 ounces each)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup peach salsa
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- Place the chicken, cannellini beans, onion and red pepper in 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the salsa, curry powder, salt and pepper; pour over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in green beans. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; stir in rice. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Serve with chicken and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast with 3/4 cup rice and 3/4 cup sauce: 486 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1132mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 46g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 2, 2013
I didn't find " peach salsa " in my area.... what can i use to replace it?Is regular salsa ok?
Aug 3, 2012
I wasn't impressed with this recipe. It seemed like there was something lacking. Not sure what - but a spice of some sort to perk it up a bit. I will only remake this recipe if I can figure out what is lacking.
Jul 25, 2012
It is fast and easy, and tastes like that. Everyone has their own tastes,this one just does not have enough zing to it for us. We like lots of flavor. I use 2 tsp. mild curry and 1 tsp hot curry. For me that was enough heat. Husband needed more. And I added 1/2 tsp. zested ginger root.
Oct 19, 2011
This is a good recipe. My husband, who doesn't prefer spicy food, enjoyed it too. I used thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breast, which was fall-apart tender at the end of cooking. The only peach salsa I could find at Walmart was 'Great Value All-Natural Peach Pineapple Chipotle.' This was my first adventure with salsa with fruit in it, but when eating the dish I totally forgot it was in there until I found a sweet bite of pineapple. We thought the sweetness of the fruit helped round out the spicy curry. I loved the addition of fresh green beans. I don't like red bell pepper, but I really couldn't taste it. Next time I think I will add a second can of the cannellini beans because they are so homey and filling. I may also cut the curry to 2 teaspoons, because a whole tablespoon was pretty intense! I wish I had some vanilla bean ice cream to cool off my mouth!
Sep 27, 2011
This was really good! My hubby felt the recipe could of used more curry, but I liked it as is. I also didn't have green beans and simply left them out.
Sep 16, 2011
This was so amazing! Even my one year old wanted seconds.