Slow Cooker Cassoulet with Crumb Topping
Classically inspired, this dish is loaded with chicken thighs, pork and smoked sausage. Tomatoes, beans and wine round out the hearty French stew, and bread crumbs thicken it slightly. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min Cook: 7 hours
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 8 ounces kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cans (15 ounces each ) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bread crumbs in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered until crumbs are lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 8-12 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, about 7 hours. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Stir in 3/4 cup bread crumbs. Top individual servings with remaining bread crumbs. If desired, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 482 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as FRENCH CASSOULET WITH CRUMB CRUST in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018