- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 whole cloves
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 24 corn tortillas (6 inches) or taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped tomato, onion and cilantro
- In a small bowl, mix first nine ingredients. Place onions in a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Place roast over onions; pour salsa mixture over roast. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 8-10 hours.
Remove roast; remove and discard bone. Shred pork with two forks. Serve in tortillas with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pork mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Carnitas
"This was extremely easy to prepare. It was also delicious. The roast I got was very large (almost 8 pounds), so I cooked it on high for the first two hours to make sure it got done in 8 hours. It was so tender that the bone came out easily. I shredded it and served it both on tortillas and just by itself with cheese sauce. We also used it in quesadillas. It made a ton, so I have several servings in the freezer for a quick meal on a cold night."