We shared these flavor-packed tacos with friends from church who came over to help us move. They're so good, I put them on my blog, manilaspoon.com! The slow cooker makes this recipe extra easy, and I love that whenever I make it, I'm reminded of the wonderful people back in Michigan. —Abigail Raines, Hamden, Connecticut
Featured In: 44 Slow Cooker Recipes to Make for Memorial Day
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 whole cloves
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 24 corn tortillas (6 inches) or taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped tomato, onion and cilantro
- In a small bowl, mix first nine ingredients. Place onions in a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Place roast over onions; pour salsa mixture over roast. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 8-10 hours.
Remove roast; remove and discard bone. Shred pork with two forks. Serve in tortillas with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pork mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Carnitas in Simple & Delicious April/May 2017