- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- Place the beef, potatoes, water, carrots, soup, onion, celery, Worcestershire sauce, browning sauce if desired, bouillon granules, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Stir in peas. Cover and cook on high until thickened, 30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forSlow Cooker Beef Vegetable Stew
"My husband said it's a keeper. Instead of the corn starch I coated in flour, salt and pepper then seared in skillet until browned. It was so thick I had to add water."
"If you're looking for a good beef stew... keep looking."
"Way more tomato-y than I was expecting, but still good once you get past that. My husband loved it, and the potatoes don't overcook, which shocked me."
"Using previous review's suggestions I lessened the water and added a 6oz. can of tomato paste for thickening. I also added frozen corn because we like it in our stews. I made it one day to eat the next to mellow flavors. Very Good."
"A very tasty stew but quite runny. I would recommend cutting the amount water in half. Adding the cornstarch didn't thicken the stew at all since there was so much liquid. I will definitely be making this recipe again but with less water."
"This was excellent! I omitted the celery, and used 1/2 cup each corn starch and water. Stew thickened up nicely, and the meat was very tender."
"This is a really great recipe. I really don't think the sugar is needed. Next time I will omit it. Turned out really good. I will definitely make this again."
"This recipe turned out great. I couldn't find any stew meat, so I used a chuck roast and cut it up prior to cooking. I also customized the veggies to what I had, used a bit more thyme and some oregano instead of bay leaves, since I didn't have those. The cornstarch thickener didn't work for me, even though I added double what the recipe called for, but we didn't mind it being a bit thin."