Here's a heartwarming classic made simple in the slow cooker. Mushrooms, red wine and tender beef make an easy, elegant supper. —Deanna Zewen, Union Grove, Wisconsin
Recommended: 30 Holiday Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-in. pieces
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine beef, onions, mushrooms and garlic. In a small bowl, mix next seven ingredients; pour over beef mixture. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Skim fat from juices. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until thickened, about 45 minutes. Serve with noodles; sprinkle with parsley.
- Freeze option: Omitting parsley, freeze cooled meat mixture, sauce and egg noodles in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in microwave-safe dishes until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Beef Tips Burgundy in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2017, p21