- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope (1-1/2 ounces) beef stroganoff seasoning for the slow cooker
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup port wine or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil. Add water and seasoning mix, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer meat and drippings to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Combine the wine, mustard and sugar; stir into the mushroom mixture. Add to slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
"I found this recipe but didn't have all the ingredients it called for so I had to improvise. I only had ground chuck so I decided to try it to see how it worked. I didn't have the stroganoff seasoning but i did have a packet of Lipton Beefy Onion seasoning. I used beef broth instead of wine and added about a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce. I didn't have fresh mushrooms so I used canned mushrooms and caramelized the onions in the olive oil. Instead of sour cream I used a can of mushroom soup. I did have the ground mustard and the remainder of the ingredients. I didn't have time to cook it in a slow cooker so I put all of this in a skillet on my stove top and cooked it. It turned out really good. I want to try the original recipe next time I make stroganoff. I guess the reason I am writing this review is my point is that this recipe, even though I didn't have the right ingredients, did give me a recipe to go by to use what I did have on hand and it turned out really good. When I can get to a store (I live in a very remote area) to get the ingredients I want to make this recipe again. I don't know how to rate this since I didn't actually make this recipe. I would like to give it five stars but I would be rating my own changes so I guess after I make the original recipe I will write another review and rate it."
"This was excellent. I had lost my favorite beef Stroganoff recipe a few years ago and I've been looking for a replacement ever since. I finally found it! My two kids and husband loved it too. Winner!"
"I would love to rate this recipe but I can't figure out how to save it!! Same for the previous recipe, Italian Mushrooms!"
"to: doots1epicurius has a great one and it's using "the crocker" as well :)to Sarah C:when I return home this'll be the first dinner I make, can't wait."
"This is my favorite beef stroganoff recipe. My family loves this dish as well. My husband loves the fresh mushrooms. My children and I do not like the mushrooms, but we pick around them. This dish is easy to prep, just takes some time in the morning. I use the beef broth instead of the wine when I make it. The meat is tender and the flavor is outstanding. This recipe is one of our favorite slow cooker recipes!"
"had this tonight for supper - my hubbie of 43 years thought it was wonderful! Was easy with few ingredients - a little prep then everything into the crock pot for 6 hours! Since retiring the end of 2014 - been trying new recipes! So far, they have all been great!"
"This was pretty good...I used beef broth and I tried to lighten it up by using less olive oil and low fat sour cream. It made decent sized servings...forgot to put the parsley on top!!"
"My husband rated this receipe 5 stars. I used the beef broth, not the port wine. We wiished I'd doubled the receipe so there would be more leftovers."
"My husband loved this!"
"Good flavor and the meat was very tender. Great over noodles or with creamed potatoes."