Slow Cooker Beef Burgandy Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 9 hours
- 2-1/4 cups Burgundy wine, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 cup wine, oil, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until almost crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Brown onion in drippings. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 3 minutes longer. Transfer onion mixture and bacon to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Drain and discard marinade. Add 1/4 cup flour to beef in bag; toss to coat. Transfer beef to slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, thyme, parsley and remaining wine, pepper and salt. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine remaining flour and broth until smooth; gradually stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve with noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without noodles): 353 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2018
This was excellent. I served it with mashed potatoes. It made lots so I turned the leftovers into pasties, add some extra vegetables to the mixture first. A keeper. Janet. VFE