Slow Cooker Beef Burgandy Stew
This is a new recipe I tried this year. The whole family loved it and I plan to make it many times in the future.—Sherri Melotik, Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 9 hours
- 2-1/4 cups Burgundy wine, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 cup wine, oil, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until almost crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Brown onion in drippings. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 3 minutes longer. Transfer onion mixture and bacon to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Drain and discard marinade. Add 1/4 cup flour to beef in bag; toss to coat. Transfer beef to slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, thyme, parsley and remaining wine, pepper and salt. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine remaining flour and broth until smooth; gradually stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve with noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without noodles): 353 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
May 14, 2018
This was excellent. I served it with mashed potatoes. It made lots so I turned the leftovers into pasties, add some extra vegetables to the mixture first. A keeper. Janet. VFE