- 1 package (16 ounces) dried great northern beans
- 2 smoked ham hocks (about 1/2 pound each)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, optional
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine beans, ham hocks, water, onion, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder. Cook, covered, on low until beans are tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Cut meat into small cubes, discarding bones; return meat to slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce, brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves, remaining garlic powder, remaining onion powder and, if desired, pepper sauce. Cook, covered, on high until heated through, about 30 minutes. Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup each).
Reviews forSlow Cooker BBQ Baked Beans
"Excellent. Everyone loved them. I used maple syrup instead of the brown sugar. The cilice so gives a very subtle flavour. Janet. VFE"