- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Place the first nine ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add broth; pulse to combine.
- Place roast and bay leaves in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker; pour sauce over top. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Prepare rice about 30 minutes before serving. In a large saucepan, combine water, rice, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat; gently stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves and skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks; return to slow cooker. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Barbacoa
"Delicious! Very spicy."
"Very good! I bought a bit less than a pound of chuck steak, cut the remaining ingredients by 75%, and used my 2-quart slow cooker. I served it with the cilantro-lime rice and put some fresh salsa on top. It made a satisfying meal for two without leftovers.Like others, I am somewhat sensitive to a high level of spiciness. Awhile back I noticed 8-ounce cans of adobo sauce next to the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce at my local grocery store, and decided to try it. It is not as spicy as using the whole canned pepper; I used about a tablespoon for my small-sized recipe. I refrigerate the unused sauce in a jar and it keeps for a very long time. Another plus: by using the adobo sauce and minced garlic I eliminated the need to use my blender, resulting in fewer dishes to wash."
"Awesome recipe! Family loved it."
"Tasty and a nice change up for burrito filling. I liked it with a little fresh lemon or lime juice sprinkled over it right before serving."
"Really tasty over the cilantro rice with pico de gallo on top of it all!"
"Spicy deliciousness! This smelled so good on the slow cooker."
"Pretty good but extremely spicy. So spicy I felt like I couldn't taste it very much. I would make again but cut down on the chipotle pepper. I also would skip the chicken broth and just use water."
"Delicious! Even my husband liked it the man who hates pot roast. Shh don't tell."
"Delicious recipe! I only used 1.5 chipotle peppers as my family doesn't like too much spice. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Delicious and very easy! We paired this with black beans."