- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Place the first nine ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add broth; pulse to combine.
- Place roast and bay leaves in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker; pour sauce over top. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Prepare rice about 30 minutes before serving. In a large saucepan, combine water, rice, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat; gently stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves and skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks; return to slow cooker. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Barbacoa
"Really tasty over the cilantro rice with pico de gallo on top of it all!"
"Spicy deliciousness! This smelled so good on the slow cooker."
"Pretty good but extremely spicy. So spicy I felt like I couldn't taste it very much. I would make again but cut down on the chipotle pepper. I also would skip the chicken broth and just use water."
"Delicious! Even my husband liked it the man who hates pot roast. Shh don't tell."
"Delicious recipe! I only used 1.5 chipotle peppers as my family doesn't like too much spice. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Delicious and very easy! We paired this with black beans."
"This was sooooo good. I will make this again and again."
"This was delicious. I forgot to rinse the rice first, so it was kind of sticky and mushy, but still tasted good. I served it with warmed black beans and ate mine in a bowl. My husband piled his into a tortilla."
"Oh my gosh was this delicious! I made it exactly to the recipe(except didn't have Cilantro for the rice) and it was extremely tasty. I'm going to freeze the meat in individual portions and make the rice in smaller portions as I need it. I will definitely make this again!"
"Made the rice; it was good."