Slow-Cooked Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 9 hours
Makes12 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add potato, sweet potato and garlic; saute 3-5 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 136 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
May 15, 2019
This turned out fine. It’s a good soup but I wasn’t all that impressed. Just our family’s taste buds didn’t love it.
Apr 28, 2019
Really delicious, will be in my loved recipe book now. I added a leek as I had one in fridge, but rest was to recipe. Hard to believe there was no meat flavouring it.
Nov 6, 2018
I tried this recipe when I had a house guest who is vegetarian. We loved it. I made it most recently for a party at work. Everyone loved the soup and commented that it had such a rich flavor, it was hard to believe there was no beef or chicken stock. Pre-cook the veggies as directed, and it does need the full 9 hours of cook time. This is one that's even better the next day.
Sep 22, 2014
I needed something for my vegan niece and found this. We all loved it. The sautéing is important and it needs to cook the 10 hours. Actually, it was even better the next day. I served it with bread made in my bread maker. Yum.
Jun 25, 2013
this is a enjoyable soup, yes I have done this with out any pre -cooking it tasted ok, my husband and son prefer the veggis precooked I myself and my sister and her boyfriend really don't care so try it wihout and with pre-cooking
Apr 11, 2011
can anyone tell me if this could be made without the pre-cooking? (Just dumping all into crock pot)
Jan 31, 2008
I made this soup because I was curious. The ingredients are so simple and healthy and the taste was absolutely wonderful. What a delightful combinations of flavors! It will be a repeat in our home.