- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onion, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add potato, sweet potato and garlic; saute 3-5 minutes longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 12 serving (about 3 quarts).
Reviews forSlow-Cooked Vegetable Soup
"this is a enjoyable soup, yes I have done this with out any pre -cooking it tasted ok, my husband and son prefer the veggis precooked I myself and my sister and her boyfriend really don't care so try it wihout and with pre-cooking"
"can anyone tell me if this could be made without the pre-cooking? (Just dumping all into crock pot)"