Slow-Cooked Vegetable Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 5 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Place the first four ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve drippings.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add meat, a few pieces at a time; seal and shake to coat. Brown the beef, onion and garlic in drippings and oil.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in the broth, wine or additional broth, bay leaf, thyme, reserved bacon and remaining salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Combine soup and water; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until thickened.
Dec 7, 2017
This was delicious, a great crock-pot meal. Because I was pressed for time, I skipped the browning step and just added the beef straight to the crock. It was still fantastic!
Nov 20, 2017
I leave out the tomato soup and change up some of the veggies, but otherwise make it as written. One of the best beef stews both myself and my husband have ever had! Perfect for a cold day.
Jul 9, 2017
This recipe is awesome on a cold winter day!
Aug 3, 2016
My husband said he wasn't hungry when he got home, but he had 3 servings of this because it was so good!
Sep 18, 2012
Nice and easy recipe but next time I will leave out the tomato soup and just thicken more with cornstarch...seemed to changed the "beefy" taste I like in a stew and made it kind of tangy. Also will add more of the vegetables as there was plenty of beef with 2 pounds of stew meat.
Aug 17, 2012
This is a family favorite!
Dec 31, 2011
I made it the day before and heated it up the next day. It was a little too thick for my taste, but still tasted very good.
Nov 30, 2011
My family gobbled this up. I stirred in a can of corn at the end like one reader suggested and it was good.
Dec 24, 2010
it was really delicious. I used beef boneless chuck steak and the meat was so moist and so good. I suggest adding a little bit more salt and pep, and a little more boulian at the end.
Feb 27, 2010
Have tried a bunch of beef stew recipes looking for a quality homemade stew similar in taste to Dinty Moore. This wasn't too far off!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.