Slow-Cooked Thai Peanut Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk, divided
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer to a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, orange juice, marmalade, oil, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce and 3/4 cup coconut milk; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small saucepan, bring the rice, water and remaining coconut milk to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Serve with chicken and sauce; sprinkle with peanuts.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 616 calories, 32g fat (9g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 24, 2015
It was good but a little bland. My husband sprinkled extra teriyaki sauce on top to add a little tang. I used crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy and that worked fine. I had no orange marmalade so I used peach jam. And olive oil instead of sesame oil.
Aug 6, 2014
Excellent flavor! Needed to add a bit more water to rice.
Apr 17, 2012
I made this for myself one weekend using 2 large bone-in chicken breasts when my family was all away. I decided to try it on my family one time and they loved it. I used the chicken thighs then. They thought it was bit too thick and peanut buttery, but I made it again and used a whole can of cocoanut milk to the sauce and it was delicious and a huge hit the next time with no left overs.
Mar 27, 2012
Forgot to add that I chopped 3 green onions and added them to the sauce.
Mar 27, 2012
This was so good. I tasted the sauce prior to adding it to the crock pot and decided it needed a little zip so I added a tsp. of grd. ginger and a Tbsp. of sherry. Next time I will also add some lime zest and chopped cilantro. I took some one else's advice and shredded the chicken with a couple of meat forks right in the pot about 30 min. before it was done. Served it over cooked rice. Great comfort food!
Jan 23, 2012
I thought this recipe was great! The sauce is so smooth and silky and I didn't find it too sweet - neither did my husband and he doesn't like overly sweet foods. If you want some spice, I'd add some red pepper flakes, but I'm OK with mild food. I also used chicken breasts and cooked for 5 hours, very tender!
Jan 13, 2012
I skipped the coconut milk in the rice and served it with fresh lime wedges and cilantro. Maybe it helped cut the sweet flavor some reviewers didn't like.
Sep 19, 2011
Only thing I will change the next time I make it is to pre-brown the flour chicken & add more salt & Pepper. Chicken needed the "help". AWESOME sauce tho!!!!
Jul 17, 2011
I did not care for this recipe. The peanut taste and smell were too overpowering. I wish it had a hint of spicy to go with the sweet sauce.
Jul 5, 2011
Maybe it was just the peanut butter I used, but this tasted like a peanut butter and honey sandwich to us; the Thai flavors seemed lost.