Slow-Cooked Tender Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut brisket into thirds; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Thinly slice meat across the grain. If desired, thicken cooking liquid. Yield: 10 servings.
5 ounce-weight: 277 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Tender Beef Brisket
"My husband and I both loved this recipe. It was easy and very flavorful. I had a stout beer instead of wine to accompany the dish. I used regular beer in the recipe but next time I'm going to try using a stout, which I think will really add to the bold taste."
"I left out the green pepper only because I didn't have any on hand. My boyfriend thought this was 5 stars, but I couldn't get past that beer taste. It wasn't my favorite, but I gave it four stars as an average."
"The brisket was very tender without falling apart. The pan juices are very tasty but hard to describe. Is it a barbeque sauce? a gravy?"
"Very good recipe. The beef brisket was WAY to expensive for me. So I substituted the Eye of Round Roast and it worked out great. I also substituted Sprite for the nonalcoholic beer. I thickened the pan juices with cornstarch and water. (1/4 cup cornstarch, plus enough water to make one cup total)."