Slow-Cooked Taco Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1. Cut four 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a round loaf. Place meat loaf in the center of the strips. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
- 3. Combine the ketchup, brown sugar and hot sauce; pour over meat loaf during the last hour of cooking. Let stand for 10 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove the meat loaf to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 345 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 936mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Taco Meat Loaf
"Totally awesome! Everyone loves it! So easy to make!"
"Did not really care for this. A bit too mushy for me."
"This was delicious. Even my picky son had two heaping helpings! We all loved it!"
"My husband always groans and rolls his eyes when I say I'm making meatloaf for dinner, but no more! We loved this -- so flavorful! I made it exactly as written, but cut the calories by using 96% lean beef, reduced-fat cheese, and baked tortilla chips. I might add a can of chopped green chilies next time, just for a little extra zip. This will be our go-to meatloaf recipe from now on."
"easy, GREAT TASTE, even good when it 's cold. This is a KEEPER!!!!"
"Not a big meatloaf fan until I tried this recipe"
"Leftovers make GREAT Meatloaf Tacos. Just heat up the meatloaf, slice it and place in taco shells. Top with jack cheese, chopped tomatoes, and shredded lettuce. Favorite Salsa on the side. Fantastic!!CEA"
"Taste wonderful. I made it a little too sweet. Will cut down on the brown sugar a bit."
"I made the a couple nights ago, my kids don't care for meat loaf but they loved this one. I added some diced Jalepenos for alittle more zip!"
"Family likes this. I bake it in the oven and omit the olives."
"This was sooo good. My family loved it so much we didn't have leftovers."
"There is no way the meat loaf will be done in 3-4 hours. Took 8 hrs."
"I loved this recipe and my family and friends too. It was a big hit at a family gathering."
"Does the ground beef have to be cooked first?"
"I found this to be too dry for my family, not sure if it was the amount of tortilla chips, but I shared with my neighbor and her family loved it."
"1 egg = 1/4 cup egg substitute;2 eggs = 1/2 cup egg substitute"
"I would love to try this recipe but I do not cook with egg substitute. what is the real egg equivalent?"
"I add 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning to the glaze and also a packet of each mild and hot sauce. Very good! Thanks."
"The catsup and brown sugar cook up nicely-I add a little taco seasoning instead of the hot sauce, makes a really good "glaze" for the meatloaf."
"I use pizza sauce in my meatloaf"
"I can't imagine adding a brown sugar and catsup sauce on this very savory meatloaf. I think the flavor would clash badly. Maybe just salsa."
"Can't wait to try this one!Beegoo"
"Wow--this looks great! Can't wait to try it."
"What an excellent way to use tortilla chips that have gotten stale. I will use this recipe many times over!! Thanks for sharing!!!"