- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer, optional
- Optional Toppings: croutons, popcorn, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions
- In a slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through. Serve with desired toppings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSlow-Cooked Savory Cheese Soup
"Worst recipe ever. First of all I have no idea why it needs to cook for 7-8 hrs first. Then when you finally get around to adding the cream cheese it takes FOREVER for it to melt. I won't be making this again even if by some miracle it tastes good."
"Added a dash of cayenne pepper for a little zip. Still a little bland but overall a good soup."
"This has become a regular in our slow-cooker. I use sharp cheddar for extra flavor, and I chop the veggies very fine and leave out the beer for my finicky eaters. The kids like it with gold fish crackers, hubby likes his with bacon pieces and I have mine with broken-up pretzels. A winner all-around!"
"My whole family loves it- it is perfect as is. Tastes even better the second day."
"Not bad, but I found it too salty. I even used reduced sodium chicken broth to make it."
"This was good, and you can do a lot with it - add mushrooms, broccolli, etc. We got tired eating the soup - added paprika and cayenne pepper and had a cheese dip (i'd reduce it more if I were to use it for that again). Very good, very versatile."
"This was very good. Ham or broccoli would be a nice addition as well."