Slow-Cooked Sauerkraut Soup Recipe
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Skim fat. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup: 213 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 1442mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Sauerkraut Soup
"This is so good on a cold winter's day. If you love Sauerkraut you will love this soup!"
"This was different from anything I've ever tried before, but I liked it. I think it could grow on me. One thing I noticed while I was putting it together was that there was no onion in it. I somewhat reluctantly went ahead and made it as written, but it seemed that something was missing when I was eating it. Later I looked up a lot of sauerkraut soup recipes online and they ALL had onion in them. I love onions .....if I make this again, they will be in it!"
"This soup is probably not for everyone, but for those who like sauerkraut it is delicious. I made it last fall for our annual octoberfest party and people were asking to take home leftovers."
"This was so good. I quadrupled recipe for a party and that Monday my sister brought coworkers over for lunch to finish it up."
"Excellent - did not put in the bacon or chicken and it was still excellent."
"easy to make. Smells great while cooking. Even finicky eaters love it!"
"We love this soup! We make it on cold snowy days and it's fantastic. It tastes even better the next day after it has cooled in the fridge."
"I forgot to mention that this really needed extra broth for my tastes. I ended up using three 14.5-oz cans. Each can was a little less than 2 cups. If you take a good look a the picture, there really isn't a lot of broth there."
"If you like sauerkraut, then you must try this soup!! It's wonderful! As for the person who questioned what mushrooms and the soup do for this recipe--apparently she hasn't even made this and, therefore, didn't need to be reviewing it. I LOVE THIS soup! I had forgotten it was simmering in the slow-cooker and was wondering where that wonderful aroma was coming from as I watched TV all evening. (I live in a condo building and thought it was one of the neighbors till I went to the kitchen at commercial time!) This recipe is a keeper and one to share!!"