Slow-Cooked Sauerkraut Soup Recipe
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Skim fat. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup: 213 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 1442mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Sauerkraut Soup
"Make this with ham rather than sausage. Very dissapointed! Rinsed sauerkraut as directed but sauerkraut taste was overwhelming. Both my husband and I like sauerkraut but not like this. Won’t recommend or make again!"
"Absolutely Delicious- I came across this recipe and could not wait for the first really cold day to make it. My family was skeptical because I'm a big fan of All German foods and were like (sauerkraut again!!!-Eye roll). It was so easy to put together and I added in a few extras that worked well/ some parsnips, rutabaga and got my recipes mixed up and added some caraway seeds ( confirmed relish by the fam to be yummy) in addition to the dill. I ended up using Bratwurst instead of kielbasa and chicken and it definitely enhanced the smokey flavor even more. Bacon on top made it WOW! Highly recommend"
"This is so good on a cold winter's day. If you love Sauerkraut you will love this soup!"
"This was different from anything I've ever tried before, but I liked it. I think it could grow on me. One thing I noticed while I was putting it together was that there was no onion in it. I somewhat reluctantly went ahead and made it as written, but it seemed that something was missing when I was eating it. Later I looked up a lot of sauerkraut soup recipes online and they ALL had onion in them. I love onions .....if I make this again, they will be in it!"
"This soup is probably not for everyone, but for those who like sauerkraut it is delicious. I made it last fall for our annual octoberfest party and people were asking to take home leftovers."
"This was so good. I quadrupled recipe for a party and that Monday my sister brought coworkers over for lunch to finish it up."
"Excellent - did not put in the bacon or chicken and it was still excellent."