- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Skim fat. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews forSlow-Cooked Sauerkraut Soup
"This is so good on a cold winter's day. If you love Sauerkraut you will love this soup!"
"This was different from anything I've ever tried before, but I liked it. I think it could grow on me. One thing I noticed while I was putting it together was that there was no onion in it. I somewhat reluctantly went ahead and made it as written, but it seemed that something was missing when I was eating it. Later I looked up a lot of sauerkraut soup recipes online and they ALL had onion in them. I love onions .....if I make this again, they will be in it!"
"This soup is probably not for everyone, but for those who like sauerkraut it is delicious. I made it last fall for our annual octoberfest party and people were asking to take home leftovers."
"This was so good. I quadrupled recipe for a party and that Monday my sister brought coworkers over for lunch to finish it up."
"Excellent - did not put in the bacon or chicken and it was still excellent."
"easy to make. Smells great while cooking. Even finicky eaters love it!"