Even though this chicken dish cooks for hours, the citrus keeps things fresh. We're big on spice, so sometimes I use two chipotle peppers. —Deborah Biggs, Omaha, Nebraska
Recommended: Slow Cooker Recipe-a-Day for September
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Grated orange peel
- Place first five ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended.
- Place chicken and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with juice mixture. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads at least 165°, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Spoon over chicken; top with orange peel. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Chipotle-Orange Chicken in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018