Slow-Cooked Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hous
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 small red potatoes
- In a bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir in the bread cubes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. Add the beef and mix well. Shape into a round loaf. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Spread ketchup on top of loaf. Arrange carrots around loaf. Peel a strip around the center of each potato; place potatoes over carrots.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 7-8 hours longer or until no pink remains in the meat and the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 464 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 1069mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 23, 2014
I have tried many meat loaf recipes but this is by far the best one! Tender, not to strong nor to weak on the seasonings! It is now the family favorite
Oct 27, 2012
We have made this several times and always enjoy it. We add 1/2 a chopped onion and 1/2 a pepper, and chili sauce with a teaspoon (or two) hot horseradish instead of ketchup. Easy and delicious.
Jan 17, 2012
Thank you for the great recipe !!Follow recipe and you will not be dissapointed !!Tasty, slices well, tender veggies, and EASY !!
Jun 14, 2011
i usually make meatloaf with either bbq sauce or cream of onion soup instead of ketchup on top.. i liked that everything was done in the slowcooker... added alot of seasonings and still thought it was missing something tho...i thought it was ok, but my family said it was good
Oct 17, 2009
This was excellent!! Very moist....I used ground turkey as we're not beef eaters. I added chunks of onion, carrots and celery - no potatoes. It was great to have everything in one pot. Will definitely make again :-)
Apr 2, 2009
I start this recipe at home, put the crockpot in the sink in our motorhome, turn on the generator and have a complete meal done when we get where we are going, plus it smells so good.
May 13, 2008
I halve the recipe for my small (1 quart) slow cooker, and usually don't include the veggies. The meatloaf is tasty and holds up nicely to the long cooking time.