Slow-Cooked Herbed Turkey
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup minced fresh sage
- 1/2 cup minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 envelopes onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 boneless skinless turkey breast halves (3 pounds each)
- In a blender, combine the first 15 ingredients; cover and process until blended. Place turkey breasts in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag; add half of marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; seal and refrigerate overnight. Pour remaining marinade into a bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Drain and discard marinade from turkey. Transfer turkey breasts to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add reserved marinade; cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked turkey: 232 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 369mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 40g protein.
Mar 23, 2016
This I a tasty marinade and I used it too cook a bone in turkey breast. My family really enjoyed it.
Jul 2, 2012
I made this for thanksgiving last year, it was a big hit. I loved it because I made it the day before in the crock pot and just heated it up for dinner. Great recipe and I will be making it again :)
Nov 24, 2011
The marinade, when just made and cold, was wonderful and left me anxious to enjoy this entree. But after it was cooked--whoa. Not so good. Maybe it was the oddness of Dijon mustard and lemon and onion soup mix on turkey; I don't know. Seems like too many competing flavors. I've made this boneless breast dozens of times, and I so prefer it plain over this version. My husband thought it was ok, but he eats just about anything. I unfortunately made this today for T'giving. Wasted an expensive roast. :(
Sep 4, 2011
This turned out great and I cut the recipe in half.
Dec 3, 2010
I have a regular, full sized blender and this amount of marinade only filled it 1/2 full. This is the best tasting turkey ever!
Nov 23, 2009
Although the turkey was delicious, I found the marinade proportions too large for my blender. Little confused why the marinade portions are listed doubled here compared to what I found in the Taste of Home Slow Cooker recipe book for 2009. Will try again for Thanksgiving.
Apr 5, 2009
I made this recipe for an Easter lunch and it was a HUGE hit! Everyone wanted the recipe. The marinade was simple to assemble and being able to throw it in the crock pot left me time to prepare the other dishes.
Oct 31, 2008
This is well worth the expense of fresh herbs. I cook new recipes every week and very few get used more than once. This recipe has been cooked several times for my family. It should win an award for its zing of flavor when you bite into it. It is a great new twist on turkey, soft, juicy and flavorful. Yum.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.