Slow-Cooked German Potato Salad
In Delano, Minnesota, Marlene Muckenhirn makes these zesty salad with potatoes, celery and onion. It's a terrific side dish when served warm with crumbled bacon and fresh parsley sprinkled on top.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, celery and onion. In a small bowl, combine water, vinegar, sugar, tapioca, salt, celery seed and pepper. Pour over potatoes; stir gently to coat.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Just before serving, sprinkle with bacon and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Hot German Potato Salad in Quick Cooking September/October 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.