Slow-Cooked Chunky Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Chopped red onion, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. If desired, serve with shredded cheese, chopped onion and sour cream.
- 3. Freeze option: Before adding toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili and toppings separately in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Sprinkle with toppings.
1 cup: 329 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 1158mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 21g protein.
Jun 7, 2017
This was excellent! Only thing I did differently was drain the 14 oz cans of tomatoes, used only two cans of beans, and added 1 Tbsp each of cumin and chili powder because I only had 1/2 envelope of tex mex chili seasoning.
Feb 17, 2017
Tried this recipe using our new CrockPot for the first time. Tried half kidney and half black beans as someone else had mentioned. Turned out great....a new crew favorite!
Feb 4, 2017
This was so good! One of the best chili recipes I've made!
Jan 11, 2017
Drat....DH said it was too tomatoey. Used Pom strained tomatoes, added 1/2 tablespoon Himalayan salt, sprinkled in onion & garlic powder, 1 lb. grass fed beef, 1 can organic red beans, 2 Tablespoons Trader Joe's taco seasoning. DH dislikes diced tomatoes, green pepper, & pork sausage is not on our menu.
Nov 30, 2016
I made this recipe yesterday. Instead of cooking all on high in the crock pot for 4 to 5 hours, I cooked all on low for 12 hours. It came out beautifully and was incredibly tasty and chunky. I'll be making this one again.
Sep 29, 2016
The best chili i ever cooked.
Sep 27, 2016
This Chili rated fantastic with my guy,he said ate 3 bowls hard to stop,even said it topped Windy's.i used exact Recipe except had Extra can of whole plum tom's i diced and threw in.It did not hurt the recipe had plenty of juice.The taco seasoning was perfect,i kept wondering how it would be with no chili powder.----This will be my Chili recipe from now on and plan to share it.=====just enough seasoning===would be great for football party's.
Sep 22, 2016
This was too spicy for us. Next time, I'll only use one can of the diced tomatoes and green chilies.
Jul 26, 2015
Amazing Recipe! I used Old El Paso Mild Taco Mix, and subsituted green onions for regular onions (hubby has a dislike for regular onions), and I added half a cup of carrots! Sprinkled with Shaved Parm and served with Buttermilk Biscuits! Definitely will be making again for the family!
Feb 2, 2015
I've made this numerous times now, and really love it! I use whatever brand of sausage is on sale, and use two cans of black beans and two cans of kidney beans. I also generally omit the green pepper, simply because we don't often have one around, while we do usually have all of the other ingredients. It's delicious!!!!!