- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Anaheim or poblano peppers, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotle hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, cubed avocado, sour cream and crispy tortilla strips
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer pepper mixture and chicken to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in broth, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, tomato paste, seasonings and, if desired, pepper sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender (a thermometer should read at least 165°).
Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred with two forks; return to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forSlow-Cooked Chicken Enchilada Soup
"Very good recipe. easy to throw together. I made it in a large soup pot on the stove rather than in the crockpot. Due to the way the chicken was packaged, I had twice as much meat in it as there should have been, however, because of the amount of meat, it was more like a stew and I didn't need to double the recipe for our large family. One batch was enough and there aren't any leftovers. Everyone liked it and enjoyed the toppings. I would like to add the corn and black beans next time."
"Amazing! I make this soup all the time. I've made it so much that I even change it up by adding corn and sometimes use green enchilada sauce. Make this! It will be a recipe you keep FOREVER!!!"
"Very tasty! I used green peppers (Anaheim?) because my husband doesn't like spicy foods. We topped it with sour cream and shredded cheese! Delicious! I'll be making this again!"
"Great soup. I also added a can of black beans and a can of corn just to add more substance."
"I just made this soup. It is so tasty! I made it as the recipe calls, but didn't put in hot sauce. We don't like things too spicy. I topped it with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. I couldn't wait to eat it and forgot about the tortilla strips! I'll definitely make this again. It has the same flavors as chicken tortilla soup, without beans. It's really a recipe keeper!"
"This soup had a great flavor. I made this when I had company over and everyone loved it and had to get seconds! I did leave out some peppers to cut down on the spice factor."