Slow-Cooked Calico Beans
My sister-in-law gave me the recipe for these hearty beans that make an appearance at all of our family functions. The ingredients slowly cook to perfection for a mouthwatering sweet-and-smoky flavor. Everyone will be going back for seconds!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the beans, pineapple, onion, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and mustard.
- Cover and cook on low until heated through, 6-8 hours. Just before serving, stir in bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 385 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 863mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 9g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Lori's Calico Beans in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013