Slow-Cooked Barbecued Pork Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 10 hard rolls, split
- Coleslaw, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the tomato puree, brown sugar, steak sauce, lemon juice and salt. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and heated through.
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; pour sauce over the top. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Serve on rolls. Top with coleslaw if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 471 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 11, 2015
I made this today and it was GREAT!!! My four year old had two servings and was stuffing it in his mouth. I couldn't believe how good this was with such little seasoning. I put onions, pickles and peppers on the side to put on the sandwiches.