Slow ‘n’ Easy Barbecued Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a small saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with sauce. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon some of the sauce over chicken and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 319 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 947mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein.
Jul 9, 2017
We love the satisfying taste of this barbecued chicken! Yum!
Sep 20, 2014
Just trying this today 9/20/14 for the 1st time. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Sep 10, 2013
Thought this was a great recipe
Aug 19, 2013
Sounds great, but had a question for those that have made this recipe. 3-4 hours on low heat doesn't sound right. Did it cook through in this amount of time or should it be on the high setting? Thanks everyone!
Jan 17, 2013
I used chicken breast next time i'll shred the chicken to make sliders.
Jul 1, 2012
I've made the sauce from this recipe many times since I reviewed it almost 3 years ago. On chicken, or just about any meat - this recipe is a keeper!
Feb 11, 2010
This was pretty gross. It took way longer for the chicken to cook than was indicated in the recipe. It took 7 hours! And there was absolutely no flavor to the chicken whatsoever. The bar b que sauce looked almost gray and unappetizing, but it lacked flavor too! Was not a hit in my family.
Jan 5, 2010
Very good, and it pleased even the picky eater. Will definitely make again.
Sep 15, 2009
I tired the recipe last month and made it just sa suggested, with chicken drumsticks. It went over really BIG at my house, even tho we're white meat eaters - plus drums were on sale for only 99 cents a pound that week.I am trying a variation on this recipe today. I made the barbeque sauce and put it, along with meatballs into the crock pot.For anyone who likes to experiment, I think this dish could certainly be made with boneless chicken, pork chops, maybe even beef cubes; there's all kinds of possibilities. It's the sauce that makes this dish.I think it's going to be yummy made with meat balls - but I will let you know for sure after dinner.
Aug 11, 2009
dportlu, you SERIOUSLY need to get a life. I mean really, step away from the keyboard and find something better to do with your time, rather than look for things to criticize, do some volunteer work, help the elderly, SOMETHING.The recipe sounds yummy, cant wait to try it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.