These hearty sandwiches are called "Toms" rather than "Joes" because they're made with leftover turkey. I've always loved to cook. I can remember checking out cookbooks from the grade school library, and I worked in the cafeteria from third through sixth grade.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup diced cooked turkey
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 to 3 teaspoons onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Dash pepper
- 2 sesame seed hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to drain on paper towels and set aside. Saute celery in bacon drippings; drain. Add the turkey, tomato sauce, water, soup mix, brown sugar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve on hamburger buns. Sprinkle with bacon.