- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce and seasonings. Cook and stir until heated through. Serve on buns with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSloppy Pizza Joes
"Loved the flavor of this. I left out the rosemary, added some Italian seasoning as well as the garlic, oregano and onion powder. I used a good portion of fresh basil instead of dried. My family ate it giving great compliments. This is a keeper: the best sloppy joe recipe I've come across."
"Great! I added mild sweet italian sasuage and used less rosemary! Will def do these again!!"
"Not too bad and easy to make. I agree that the seasonings gave them a strong taste. I would probably cut back on the rosemary."
"easy to make - used shredded mozzarella cheese. The whole family liked them!"
"I used a less rosemary, and added crushed red pepper flakes. Great taste & really simple. This is making the regular rotation!"
"I made these open face style and lightly broiled them. They were a hit with my husband and I as well as our young children. Will make again and again."
"Very good. I added pepproni to the burger mixture."
"This was quick and simple to make. This did have a strong flavor due to the all of the seasonings, kind of unexpected for a sloppy joe. There is a similar recipe out there, with a bit less seasoning, that I might try next time instead of this one."
"I made these for dinner last night and my husband and son loved them! I followed the recipe exactly as written, except I toasted the buns underneath the broiler for a few minutes before putting the sauce and cheese on the buns. Next time I am going to toast the buns; add a slice of cheese to the top and bottom buns; melt that under the broiler for a few minutes before adding the sauce. Very, very good."