- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium green and/or sweet yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 pretzel or regular hamburger buns, split
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add sauerkraut, peppers and onion; cook and stir 8-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms; place cheese over meat. Replace tops. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSloppy Ottos
"This was a great sandwich! I used homemade sauerkraut and Kaiser rolls instead of the pretzel rolls. I wanted to give it a bit of a Reuben zing, so I baked them without the tops, toasted the tops separately and added a dollop of Thousand Island dressing when the cheese was melted. A definite hit I'll be making again!"
"We really loved these and made them with fresh bratwurst (removed the casing) and served them on pumpernickel buns with Gouda cheese. Enough cheese holds the filling in the bun but I don't mind eating the bits with a fork. We used pretzel buns for the next batch of Sloppy Ottos."
"The flavors of dish were unique and delicious. However, I felt it needed a bit more sauce or something. When we think of sloppy sandwiches - we want a saucy mess :) I ended up adding just a bit of tomato sauce to go with the sausage. I really liked the sauerkraut though!"
"This is really good, the only thing I will would do the next time is add more sausage."
"We loved these. They are full of flavor. One tip though, push the inside of the bread in to make a cavity. This makes it easier so the filling doesn't fall out."