Sloppy Joes with Lentils
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomato sauce, lentils, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until lentils are tender. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 272 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Aug 16, 2017
I was leery about cooking the hamburger for 60 minutes with the lentils but it was too easy to not try. Worked great!! I added worcestershire sauce as we like that flavor in sloppy joes. Just check the lentils to make sure they are cooked to your liking. I think I added a few extra minutes to make sure they were done how I liked them.I'm making it again today.