- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Serve on buns. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSloppy Joes Sandwiches
"Thanks for sharing this recipe. My old recipe calls for tomato soup, and since I had none, I looked here for a recipe that does not call for soup. This recipe worked out great. I did cut down on the brown sugar slightly. Also, I added diced onion to the meat when I browned it and omitted the onion powder. Thanks for the good recipe."
"We were looking forward to eating this but were sadly disappointed. I'm glad that I read the reviews and cut the sugar in half. The vinegar in the ketchup overwhelmed the dish. If you love ketchup, you'll enjoy this recipe."
"This was good but just not exactly what I was looking for. We did enjoy it and made as written."
"Very tasty and easy to make. The sweetness and spice was just right."
"Used Westbrae unsweetened ketchup and Truvia brown sugar baking blend for wonderful sloppy joes that are really good for ya! Thanks for the recipe!!!!"
"This is so much better than any can mix. I put 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder in mine, to take away some of the sweetness."
"Me and my son really liked it, it was exactly what I wanted because I hate the big pieces of onion and peppers in the can stuff.. My husband didn't like it because it is kinda sweet, but hey I will fix it for me and my son."
"I have made this recipe numerous times over the years. So much better than store bought mixes."